Saturday, November 6, 2010

Rockland Lake Lighthouse


Present Light replaced older lighthouse(1894) which was dismantled in 1924 . . .


from the Nyack Library local history collection . . .
"The Rockland Lake lighthouse stood in the Hudson River and just offshore of the cog railroad and docks where ice was loaded onto barges. Ferries like the Chrystenah would have also stopped at Rockland Lake Landing - and have used the lighthouse as a guide. The lighthouse always had a slight tilt. This postcard was sent to Cypress Hills, Brooklyn and has this note: "We are having a dandy time. Very busy this morning picking water lilies. Mary."

1 comment:

  1. Memories!! I grew up as a teen spending in Rockland Co. with my cousins and Westchester Co. My Aunt lives out side of Nyac and One In Garnerville! the oddest memorie of all ..Is your name ..I wonder if this is "THEE" Dennis I also new fron the Shores in New jersey ? We shall see !
    Awesome pictures and "style " !

    ReplyDelete